UPDATE: I have found the issue with IE & pop-up blocking. It was not in fact the fault of SWFObject. Rather, the issue was a particular parameter entry: wmode=”transparent”
Yes, the simple removal of this entry caused IE’s pop-up blocking to cease. It appears I finally have a working solution – I tested on: XP (IE6, Firefox, Safari 3, Opera) & OSX (Firefox, Safari 3, Safari 2). The only caveat now being that the use of wmode=”transparent” causes IE to pop-up block.
Okay, I am putting this out to all of my readers…
I’ve almost got every browser working for my “_blank” clicks. The final exception is that on IE clicking is triggering a pop-up blocker. Surprisingly, it is not my code that appears to be the issue – or at least not directly – rather, it appears to be caused by the use of SWFObject to embed the .swf file. (We use SWFObject for our .swf embedding for a variety of reasons.)
Below are three links to my “Example 2” , each using a different loading method. Standard as generated by Flex, SWFObject 1.5, & SWFObject 2
If anyone can provide insight as to why the use of SWFObject is triggering the IE pop-up blocker, please, please let me know!
– The Saj
PS – Here are a few additional links on “_blank” issues. These demonstrate examples of using Callback, which I have not implemented but might consider incorporating.